The Manager supports the General Manager in leading
the entire team in accordance with our policies and ensuring strict adherence
to all Starbird standards. The Manager
is responsible for consistently running excellent shifts with an eye on
delivering top level hospitality to all guests, while producing the expected
and agreed upon results. Areas of
constant focus are food quality, restaurant ambiance, team interaction, and
proper labor and food quality management.
The Manager must work closely with the General Manager to ensure
financial and service goals of the restaurant are being met.
This is a
full-time, salaried exempt position with a 45-55 hour expected work week.
Managers will be expected to work evenings and weekends regularly.
Resourceful and solution oriented.
Strong written and verbal communication and a professional
Ability to work efficiently, multitask, and always stay organized
and focused on the guest in a fast-paced environment.
Punctual, strong work ethic and commitment to excellence.
Proactive and reliable to fellow team members and managers.
Superior interpersonal and
listening skills, with the ability to stabilize and lead a team, as well as
reconcile customer complaints and inquiries.
Serious passion for and
knowledge of food and ingredients.
Schedule flexibility; must be willing and able to work holidays, weekends
Ability to work with a variety of personalities and
effectively train, mentor, and manage hourly team members without
Knowledge of Spanish.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILL SET
Minimum two years experience in a high volume, quick-serve restaurant.
High school diploma preferred. Degree in culinary arts and/or restaurant
Technology savvy: comfortable
with MS Word, Google Apps, Twitter and Excel spreadsheets, professional
business correspondence, and service guidelines.
· Ability to quickly learn technology applications used
at Starbird for ordering, inventory, etc.
· Must possess exemplary knife skills and the ability to
· Demonstrated success in managing people and strong
· Must be able to stand and exert well-paced mobility
for periods of up to 4 hours in length.
· Must have the ability to lift 35 pounds in weight.
MAJOR AREAS OF
RESPONSIBILITIES AND KEY DUTIES
consistency of all food and beverage
- Ensure that the product quality and presentation of every
meal meets Starbird’s standards and wows our guests.
- Maintain master knowledge of all food specifications in dish
preparation, presentation, and cooking methods (including demonstrated
knife handling procedures), as well as of each position on the cooking
line and prep kitchen.
- Control flow of line during busy services by keeping
lines of communication open and motivating the team to be efficient so food is
produced in a timely manner.
- Must be able to work every position in the restaurant. Must
be able to role model all positions for hourly team member training and
- Maintain overall
condition of the restaurant, including all equipment, prep and storage
- Conduct proper
“line checks”, and coordinate timely equipment repair and maintenance.
- Ensure proper storage, organization and rotation of
all food items in inventory.
- Ensure that all SOP’s (Standard Operating Procedures) are being
followed and that correct usage of tools is in place for efficient
management, including proper “line checks,” portioning tools, waste logs,
safety equipment, and equipment maintenance logs.
- Contact repair companies for any non-functioning
equipment, including ice machines, refrigerators, line equipment, water heater,
food cost of your restaurant, tracking cost of goods and adjusting
orders/ingredients as needed to keep food cost as low as possible.
- Review and adhere to fiscal budgets to ensure restaurant
- Analyze P&L statements and general ledgers to recognize
opportunities for improvement or areas of concern; ensuring fiscal budgets
are met or exceeded.
- Update, complete and re-check inventory at each end of
- Manage labor cost of the restaurant.
- Conduct and oversee all product and ingredient ordering,
receiving, and inspecting of all deliveries for quality, quantity, and
price. Responsible for contacting vendor when discrepancies arise.
pars and complete orders correctly for all food and paper good items.
- Manage cost, inventory, portion, and quality control
- Take year end food inventory with management team.
New food and beverage
- Execute rollout and training for new menu
items and promotions.
and ongoing management of FOH hourly team
- Serve as a role model by providing direction, leadership, and mentoring to all team members and by adhering to company policies and standards for all department operations.
- Maintain and promote positive morale in the restaurant. Ensure safe, positive and
healthy team members and a guest experience free of harassment.
- Efficiently delegate assignments to hourly team members to ensure everything is ready for service.
- Ensure that all areas of the restaurant are prepared for the shift.
- Ensure that the restaurant looks full/clean/prepped during service.
- Spend equal amounts of time
with each hourly team member on coaching, mentoring and on-going management.
Deliver regular and helpful feedback to every scheduled hourly team member every
- Assist with and oversee all new team member training.
- Interview, hire, orient, and ensure all employees are
properly trained, using the designated training materials 100% of the time.
- Manage and conduct performance evaluations of team members.
- In collaboration with
HR, properly document and conduct disciplinary procedures of team members,
including employee coaching and termination. Send all documentation to HR.
- Meet with General Manager once a week to discuss any
topics of concern or focus.
Safety and sanitation
- Enforce all food storage management and sanitation standards and procedures, ensuring team members undergo food handler training and follow hand-washing requirements.
- Delegate FIFO organization of walk-in, counter and freezer storage units to team. Audit organization of ingredients and goods on a regular basis to ensure adherence to standards and procedures.
- In cooperation with GM and corporate office team, manage the resolution of all guest food-related complaints, including direct communication with guest.
- Enforce all workplace safety procedures and awareness of all emergency equipment, including fire alarms, fire extinguishers, and emergency exits.
- Ensure proper cooking/cutting techniques are being used to prevent injuries.
- Respond to workers compensation-related injuries, directing injured team members to approved providers. Manage claims paperwork and follow up with carrier.
- Schedule and manage all team members, updating and editing weekly labor schedules, making adjustments to meet labor goals.
- Ensure that operations
documents and forms are being used correctly and consistently, and assist with
updating pars and item changes (Order Book, Taste and Temperature Chart, Prep Lists,
Station Set Up forms, Training Guides, etc.). Provide feedback to General
Manager and/or Corporate team on suggested improvements.
- Ensure proper storage, organization and coding of invoices.
- Respond to e-mails in a timely manner, and within 24-hour standard (except for on days off). Use proper greetings, closures and relevant subject lines.
- Respond to and complete tasks or directives delegated by upper management in a timely, accurate and complete manner.
- Administer employee pay changes, promotions, demotions, transfers, cross training, vacations, and paid sick leave with HR.
- Maintain accurate and complete personnel files for team members, communicating new hire data and any personnel and employee information changes to HR Department. Forward any discipline, coaching or compliance-related documentation to HR.
- Execute all pre-opening and ongoing food and beverage related marketing events.